Tokyoskyline

Tokyoskyline

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Interview # 3 with a rapper - Alex Vega!


Interview number 3! I couldn't interview Kelvin without an interview with our boy Vega! Now I must warn you, there is some language in this one, because I dare not censor anything! It's actually not that bad though..in fact you're probably dying to read on to see what he says.

Well ask and ye shall receive. Enjoi! <- I know that is spelled wrong.


Introduce yourself.
Alex Gilfillian Vega. Watagwan (what's goin on, in Jamaican)?



Where were you born and where did you grow up?What was it like growing up there?

A talented handler of balls.
I was born and raised in San Diego, California. The greatest place on earth by the way! I spent half my time in a predominately white neighborhood, and the other half in a predominately black one. And with a Jamaican immigrant for a parent, I struggled with my identity for a bit. Not saying my life was rough or nothing like that ha. I was privileged, no doubt. I used to skateboard. I was a beast at futbol (soccer). But now I just rap.


Are you a full time student or an Exchange student?
Kokan Ryuugakusei desu (Exchange student)! Only one month left, and I’m outroz.

Why did you decide to come to APU?
It was the only school in Japan that was available haha. Nah, but for real, I love APU. I wanted to experience Japanese Culture first hand. Not that I don’t mind Japanese Women, Anime, or stuff like that. Cause I love those things. Japanese women are fine as hell. It’s just not the main reason I came here, and I’m not a creeper. Aaaanyway, I’m gonna miss everyone I’ve met here once I leave. Fuck being homesick. I’m more so sad over the former.



What are your plans after leaving APU to go back to America? Short term, then long term plans.
Once I leave here, I’m going to start making serious moves. I only have one more year left of college, and I want to leave an impact on my community somehow. I’m trying to organize and do something positive. Other than that, I want to put this music career thing in full swing. It’s time to start making websites, shooting music videos, performing at more live shows, building more connections, and all that good stuff. I have a few songs written that I need to record once I get back.

The man and his entourage.

 What is the most valuable thing you have learned while in Japan?
I hope I don’t piss anyone off with this hahaha but the most significant observation I made was how the Japanese, and really foreigners in general, have no firsthand experience or knowledge of Black America. People say ignorant shit all the time lmao. I don’t blame them, really. I probably do the same to other cultures and don’t notice it. I just find it interesting how the image of ‘blackness’ has been so distorted. They always say Americans are stupid for not knowing who Tony Blair is, or whatever. But what about black history? No one is ever taught about that. White America is still the standard. No, I’m not being racist. I love white people mmkay.

How did you get involved in making music/rapping?
I grew up with it maaan. I associate myself with Hip Hop as a culture more so than American culture, straight up and down. It’s just something I do.


Okonomiyaki! Amazing.
What is your FAVORITE Japanese food?
Mmmmmm, probably that Ramen we had up in Fukuoka. Okonomiyaki is damn good too.

 How did you meet me?
We met my very first day in Japan! At that introductory dinner or whatever the hell that was haha. I said I was from San Diego and you introduced me to Kelvin, as well as the global links crew. Then we went downtown and experienced nomihodai for the first time. Good night, most definitely.

What was your first impression?

The confident, slightly egotistical Garret didn’t really hit me just yet lololol. I guess you seemed a little nerdy, like you played a lot of WoW and read fantasy novels, which actually turned out to be true lmao. But I still consider myself to be the nerdiest for sure.

Describe your favorite experience with me thus far here in Japan.
Like Kelvin said in his interview. All those serious talks we have about whatever the fuck haa. Me, you, Chison, and Asuka had a lot of good times as well. Especially when you said, “It’s because we’re white” at Jolly Pasta lmaooo. That memory sticks out especially. 
********** I explain the above story after the interview************


Am I absolutely awful at Karaoke?
Show off...
Kind of greedy with the mic there, but yes ha. You participate and don’t care about embarrassing yourself. That’s what Karaoke is all about ne!

After knowing me for as long as you have, would you ever visit Texas to see what it was like? Why or why not.
Hell yeah, I’ll visit Texas! I need to compare the Mexican food with San Diego’s. Some good Southern Style BBQ would be at the top of the ‘to do’ list too. You’re definitely someone I want to keep in contact with after all of this. Holler at us in San Diego as well
.
Do you mind if I link your youtube channel and use one of your songs as a ‘song of the day’?
Why, I couldn’t be happier. 

Final thoughts, comments?
Oh yeah, fuck Will Smith. And fuck Bagger Vance. I look nothing like that negroe.

I disagree :)

 Great interview. Thanks Vega! Tomorrow I will deviate away from interviews to talk about some Japanese/American cultural differences and how they have affected my stay here in Japan.

***Update! - Quick story about me calling us white guys. So we were at a restaurant called Jolly Pasta. Vega inquires as to the reason why we are never carded ANYWHERE in Japan. The drinking age is 20, but no one EVER checks. At this time I was in between bites of my pizza and without thinking I say, "It's because were white." Now what I was TRYING to say was that we weren't ever carded because we were foreigners, however I did not articulate it that well. After the Freudian slip, I looked up at him and we both busted out laughing for about 5 minutes, completely confusing the two Japanese girls we were eating with. ****


If you want a song of the day you better check out Vega's site! The link is >> HERE


 Thanks for reading, and I'll see you back here tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment