Tokyoskyline

Tokyoskyline

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Do Karaoke, but don't hog the mic? Challenge accomplished.

Good morning/afternoon/evening
.
On Friday my friends and I decided we hadn't been to Karaoke in a while. Well mainly it was Martha deciding this and inviting the rest of us via facebook a week in advance. Now, initially I decided that I couldn't go because I did not have the money for it, but by Friday I needed a good time to forget the stress of the past week so I found a way to make it work. Onwards to Karaoke!

The adventure started before we even got onto the bus. You see, every semester there are different weeks set aside for various nations of the world. So far there has been Chinese week, Vietnamese week, and now Indonesian week. I haven't written any blog posts on these because I have class from 5:55pm-7:30pm every single day :(. Which means I am never available to visit any of the final performances. I digress. The reason I bring this up is that at 10:15pm on Friday night our Karaoke bound group couldn't get on any of the buses because they were full of people leaving Indonesian week!




So, how were we supposed to solve this conundrum? Well someone came up with the bright idea to go to an earlier bus stop to get one. The idea was to get on before the masses coming from Indonesian week could get onto the bus.

With a plan of action in mind we set forth towards our destination. Upon arrival, we discovered our idea was not a unique one...


And so began the strategizing. We decided that since this was the LAST bus, it was technically in our best interest to "bum rush" the bus when it arrived and push and shove until all of us were able to get seats. Unfortunately I did not capture this excitement when it actually happened, but let's just say it was wild. The end result was simply a success. Using our foreignness we were able to effectively force our way onto the bus and acquire seats. Honestly though it was not easy and we probably pushed and shoved less than many of the non foreigners did, they were just smaller than we were :/. Poor guys. I'm sure they were fine.

So now that we were safely on the bus I discovered that several of my old friends were already on!


They provided great conversation which ended up leading to them teaching me one of the most useful words in Japanese!

Yabai! or やばい!

Basically yabai can mean anything from, "danger", to "damn it", to "cool". So in a sense it is similar to the English word f**k in that it is a slang term that can be used in many, many ways.

Finally we arrived at Beppu Tower and made our way to our own personal Karaoke chamber of happiness. By now, basically EVERYONE knows about this blog after having been spammed non stop with it via facebook for the past few weeks, so when I asked to take pictures everybody began making jokes about "updating my blog." Oh how right you guys were! Never the less everyone posed for a nice picture. Vega decided to bring his A game to this particular picture. We're all so surprised he is single!


Then the party started, drinks began to be served, and the sounds of our lovely singing voices could be heard throughout the entire establishment!

A few commemorative photos:

She claimed it was our winning face, and refused to let me take any other type of picture with her.


Our singing put Vega asleep....for 2 hours!


Now, I have video footage of everyone singing, however as hilarious as it would be to post them in all of there musical glory all over the internet, I did make promises to them that I wouldn't.(sigh of relief from all of them). So, I apologize to everyone who was looking forward to a video, but they are my friends and I couldn't do that to them! Even if I really, really...REALLLLLY wanted to.

Annnd song of the day: This one is for Kelvin, Kate, and me.


2 comments:

  1. Puh, I expected a horrible video. Good thing you kept your word. Thanks for an awsome evening! :)

    ReplyDelete